ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Rooted in Trust project works to counter rumors and misinformation about COVID-19 in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Iraq, Colombia, Brazil, Mali, Democratic Republic of Congo, Zimbabwe, Sudan, South Sudan, Haiti, Yemen and Madagascar. We work to create impact locally and inform approaches to rumor management globally. The project is supported by a global technical advisory team made up of experts in media, humanitarian, data science and information management.
During Phase 1 of the project, we collected over 19,000 rumors in 14 languages and supported over 30 local trusted information providers. In this critical phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen to and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian settings, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger partnerships. and more collaborative between information providers (such as the media) and humanitarian and health sources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Social media monitors play a central role in Rooted in Trust. The Online Community Engagement Manager (OCEO) will engage online with individuals and groups in messaging apps, social media platforms and/or any other online channel used by the specific communities the project is aimed at. The OCEO will monitor social media platforms used by target communities in Madagascar to identify and track misinformation related to the COVID-19 pandemic and health issues. The OCEO will be gathering feedback and commentary on the concerns, fears and hopes behind the rumors that fuel misinformation related to COVID-19 and health issues.
They will respond to users who engage with messaging apps and post online rumor analysis content, directing them to trusted sources of information, sharing verified information, asking questions and promoting a two-way exchange aimed at fill information gaps and understand the drivers of misinformation. They will contribute to the Anti-Disinformation Project with “information you can use” and work with the Internews team to understand why particular rumors are spreading within their community.
This is an all-remote consultancy, and all remote candidates will be considered. However, you must have work authorization in your area which does not require Internews sponsorship. Additionally, there are locations where Internews is unable to support fully remote working. The selected candidate will not have to travel.
This is a short-term, full-time consultancy, with an expected end date of January 31, 2023. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so candidates should apply early.
Note: Hiring for this position is dependent on receipt of funding.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven people who are passionate about our core values and eager to support positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and we work to uphold an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage applicants of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national backgrounds to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
- Mapping of social networks: Map the social media landscape of the target community for that country. This requires identifying and recording the spaces (groups, forums, pages, etc.) where the specific community interacts and engages in conversation. Additionally, it also involves identifying and recording common and key words that the community uses to talk about the COVID-19 pandemic and health issues.
- Listening to social media: The OCEO will regularly monitor the social media platforms highlighted in the mapping exercise to identify and record misinformation about COVID-19 and other pressing health issues. The OCEO will be formed to identify the theme and classify the potential risk to the community of the rumored content.
- Commitment on social networks: The OCEO will regularly respond to misinformation and rumor content they identify on the messaging app and online. They will receive training and support from Internews to identify which social media users or groups will respond well to engagement, and how to engage in respectful two-way dialogue that connects users with quality information from trusted sources.
- Editorial process: Contribute to rumor content analysis by providing regular updates to the Internews team on recurring or emerging topics and trends, as well as helping the team understand differences in tone, context, source and target audience for social media content.
- Surveillance: Track the effect of program activities on the social media ecosystem regarding the pandemic.
- Coaching: Organize and facilitate a training of trainer on online community engagement for local implementing partners.
QUALIFICATIONS WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Active social media user with a good understanding of preferred target communities of social media and messaging platforms
- Basic skills in Microsoft Excel
- Native-level fluency in French and/or Malagasy
- Good speaking, reading and writing skills and good attention to detail
- Mature and open to learning advanced communication skills
- Good understanding of COVID-19, vaccines and/or other health information
To note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but who are interested and eager to learn, are encouraged to apply
- Knowledge of or experience working in humanitarian programming, public health promotion or communication, advocacy, or community engagement
- Social science or other qualitative research skills
- Experience working in the media as a reporter, editor or fact checker
- Data visualization skills and knowledge of relevant software to produce infographics is a plus
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working professionally with social media and collecting social media data and using analytical tools
- Solid understanding and commitment to the editorial values of the project
How to register
To apply, please send a CV and possibly a cover letter via our careers page.