Instagram says it is suspending the rollout of new features to its app following online backlash from users and celebrities such as Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner and Chrissy Teigen.
Among the new features was an increase in video content displayed to users and “recommendations” which were criticized for blocking posts from friends.
Earlier in the week, Instagram boss Adam Mosseri posted several videos on Twitter explaining the changes and said he wanted to “continue to support the photos”.
But on Thursday, a spokesperson for Meta, Instagram’s parent company, said the company wanted to “take the time” to make the changes right.
“Based on our findings and community feedback, we’re pausing the full-screen test on Instagram so we can explore other options, and we’re temporarily reducing the number of recommendations you see in your feed so we can can improve the quality of your experience,” a spokesperson for Meta told The Hollywood Reporter.
“We recognize that changes to the app can be an adjustment, and while we believe Instagram needs to evolve as the world changes, we want to take the time to make sure we’re doing it right.”
In response to Mosseri’s previous Twitter video, American model Teigen said users “don’t want to make videos” and are seeing a drop in engagement for photos.
Kardashian and Jenner also shared an online “petition” to “Instagram Redo Instagram” on their Stories.